Elf on a Shelf Fire Hazard Is a Cause for Concern After One Home Nearly Burns Down

Warning: some Elves were seriously injured in the making of this Christmas.

Warning: some Elves were seriously injured in the making of this Christmas.

Firefighters are warning Elf on a Shelf-ers to take caution this holiday season after one family nearly burned their house down due to the placement of the doll. Many parents can attest to this holiday tradition being more of an added seasonal to-do list item (and now a safety hazard) rather than a fun game. As we get closer to Christmas and your Elf on a Shelf has fewer and fewer places to hang out it is important to be aware of which surfaces could cause your poor Elf to ignite. 

Close one for this #ElfOnAShelf after she ended up on a lamp. The householder had done the right thing & purchased one with a CE mark. The Elf resisted heat for 40 minutes. Keep all decorations away from heat pic.twitter.com/t7R3GrQIyD

— Dublin Fire Brigade (@DubFireBrigade) December 12, 2017

The Dublin Fire Brigade took to Twitter early on Wednesday, December 15th to share an image of an Elf on a Shelf with one very burnt behind. The tweet states, "Close one for this #ElfOnAShelf after she ended up on a lamp. The householder had done the right thing & purchased one with a CE mark. The Elf resisted heat for 40 minutes. Keep all decorations away from heat." 

This isn't the first time an Elf on a Shelf has caused some serious scares. Other fire departments around the world are taking to Twitter to bring attention to the holiday fire hazard. 

We know that the #elfontheshelf is famous for getting into mischief. Please make sure you keep it away from anything hot! Lots of burned/scorched damaged elves out there. pic.twitter.com/Ufsx0jG90R

— Barrie Fire (@Barrie_Fire) December 8, 2017

Holy smokes! Keep a close eye on my #ElfOnTheShelf pals please! I'll radio Santa to make sure a #firesafety memo is issued to outgoing elves & parents. Thank you @Barrie_Fire for sharing this important message. Get well soon fellow elves. Stay safe everyone! #sparkxholidaytips pic.twitter.com/WzdNDSOOwZ

— Danielle Cardinal (@OttawaFirePIO) December 8, 2017

A spokesperson for Elf on the Shelf told HuffPost UK, “Santa’s official Scout Elves believe in safety. They avoid getting hurt by keeping a safe distance from the glimmering lights on the Christmas tree, open flames and other sources of heat.  If you notice a Scout Elf has landed too close to a flame or light, just let him know so he can fly to a new spot.”

Elf on the Shelf is meant to bring the families together to celebrate the holidays—not put them in danger. With Christmas approaching quickly it is important to make sure that all decorations and trees are properly installed and cared for in order to avoid any scary accidents. We don't need any more bottomless Elves this holiday season, only happy homeowners!

Comments

Be the first to comment!


All Topics in Planning & Safety


Parents may receive compensation when you click through and purchase from links contained on this website.