Fun Felt Projects: Adorable Elf Craft
Turn inexpensive papier-mí¢ché boxes and cones into an eye-catching place to store wrapped holiday treats. Even more fun: the elves' pupils can be repositioned, giving them a host of changeable expressions.
Here's what you need:
- 16-inch-square piece of felt for the hat
- 16- by 8-inch piece of felt for the face and ears
- Felt scraps for the eyes and hat decorations
- Tacky glue
- 13 1/2-inch-tall papier-máché cone (available at craft stores)
- 4-inch-wide papier-máché round box (available at craft stores)
- Embellishments, such as sequins, pom-poms, glittery pipe cleaners, and bells
Here's what to do:
- Download our templates for the hat, face, ears, and decorations (below) and use them to cut the pieces from the felt.
- In a small bowl, mix 2 tablespoons water with 1/4 cup tacky glue and set the mixture aside.
- To make the hat, cover half the cone with the glue mixture. Begin wrapping the felt hat piece around it, smoothing as you go, then glue and wrap the other half. Glue on the ears, decorations, and other embellishments.
- Make the elf's face by gluing the felt pieces to the box and lid as shown on the template. Glue the whites of the eyes in place, but not the pupils (so that they can be repositioned).