1. Remove metal hanging attachment from the red ball and hot-glue the silver ball in its place.
2. Cut a semicircle from red felt, about 1 1/2" x 3", and form into a cone, then glue to top of silver ball for hat.
3. Take a pinch of batting to form a beard, and glue where the two ornaments meet.
4. From felt, cut two small white circles for eyes, a tiny red semicircle for the mouth, and two green circles for buttons.
5. Draw small dots on the white circles with a black marker and glue all the elements in place.
6. Glue a small white pom-pom to the center of the face for a nose and glue small green buttons on top of the green felt circles.
7. Attach a 5" loop of ribbon to the top of the red hat with glue, then top the hat with a medium white pom-pom.
Originally published in the December 2009 issue of Parents magazine.