How to Make Clothespin Skier Ornaments
Wooden clothespins and ice-pop sticks transform into stylish ski bunnies. Add these cross-country cuties to your Christmas tree!
This brigade of cute skiers would make anyone giggle. They're so simple, you can make a clothespin ornament for every member of your family.
Here's what you need:
- Wooden clothespins
- Ice-pop sticks
- Bow-tie-shaped sticks
- Paint and paintbrush
Optional supplies for accessories: patterned and colored washi tape, eye hooks, yarn, pom-poms, wire and cutter, hot-glue gun and glue sticks, buttons, needle and thread, scissors
Here's what to do:
- Paint the clothespins and ice-pop sticks in a variety of desired colors; let dry.
- Glue ice-pop sticks to clothespin's open side for skis; use bow-tie-shaped sticks to make snowboards, if desired.
- Draw eyes, nose, and a mouth on your skiers.
- Decorate skier and skis with patterened washi tape, if desired.
- For the knit hat, hand-screw an eye hook into the skier's head. Wrap the base of the eye hook with yarn and glue end to secure. Glue a pom-pom on top.
- For earmuffs, cut a short length of wire and bend it around the head of the skier. Sandwich wire between the side of the clothespin head and the side of your small button; do this on each side. Hot-glue into place.
- For the pom-pom hat, pull a thread through the eye of a needle and double it up. Push the needle through the center of the pom-pom, but don't pull the thread all the way through. Leave the two open ends on one side and tie a knot on the other; double knot and snip the needle off. Hot-glue pom-pom to skier's head. Use this thread to hang your ornament, or tie a decorative string to the threads to hang.
- For all skiers, thread decorative thread or twine through their "hat" or head accessory of choice, then knot at the top. Hang proudly from the tree for a fleet of slick skiers!