Parents News Now

You Must See This Dad's Urgent Warning About Checking Baby Food Labels

Every parent needs this reminder, no matter how dilligent you are!

In a now-viral Facebook post, Canadian dad Justin Morrice is warning parents about the dangers of not reading EVERY safety label on baby snacks after his daughter nearly choked on Gerber's 'Lil Crunchies.

"As I sit here still shaking I'm posting this as a reminder to ALL parents of small children...please always read labels on the foods we feed them," Morrice wrote. He continued, "As I had just finished feeding my daughter I set some of these cheesies on her highchair tray as a dessert for finishing her snack....well in less then 10 seconds I had turned to rinse her bowl in the sink...turned back and saw her gasping for air."

The terrified dad says his daughter, named Annabelle, was trying to cry, but no sound was coming out. "I rushed over and picked her up and turned her over and slapped her back (as we were taught) for what seemed like forever I still could not hear anything," he recounts. "I flipped her over and her lips had turned blue and she was still trying to cry. I tried again to flip her facing down and slapping her back but nothing.....turned her over and her lips were even more blue....its at this moment I thought my little girl was going to die in my arms..."

6 Myths About Baby's First Foods

I cannot even imagine the horror of this moment. But thankfully, Morrice managed to keep his cool enough to shove his finger into Annabelle's mouth and down her throat, where he was "able to squish the cheesie enough." The next thing he heard was "the sweetest sound in the world...her crying."

After the shaken father took a few deep breaths, his mom pointed out the warning on the side of the snack container. In tiny letters it said, "throw contents out after 5 days of breaking the seal."

Morrice recounts, "I opened a new container and I could not believe the difference. The ones in the can she choked on I can only describe to be like a foam ear plug. I could squish it but it would expand back out and would not break apart. The ones in the new can crumbled with ease."

He went on to say he isn't mad at Gerber; instead, he blames himself for being a "lazy" parent who fell into a routine. He urges all parents to read food labels so what happened to his sweet little girl, doesn't happen to another child.

Thank you so much for the reminder, Justin. There's no doubt every parent can use it!

Melissa Willets is a writer/blogger and a mom. Follow her on Twitter (@Spitupnsuburbs), where she chronicles her love of exercising and drinking coffee, but never simultaneously.