The Little-Known Pool Danger One Mom Is Urging Parents Not to Overlook
This mom wants everyone to know how her daughter almost died in a hotel swimming pool, so other parents don't overlook this lesser-known drowning danger.
One mom is taking to social media to share the terrifying pool incident that could have taken her 6-year-old daughter's life, in the hopes of sparing other parents the agony her family has endured.
Alex Morgan writes on Facebook, "HOPING THIS POST CAN SAVE SOMEONES LIFE!!!"
She recounts how over Easter, her family went on vacation to the Spanish island of Lanzarote. While her little girl, Darcey, was swimming in the hotel pool, Morgan writes, "her hair got sucked into the filter that operates a waterfall in the swimming pool. Her hair was stuck and she was unable to get up to the surface."
Unthinkably, Darcey was under water for more than two minutes. But thankfully, Morgan says, "some incredibly brave people" saved her life. After her hair was ripped, "Darcey was unconscious and had to be given CPR at the poolside." Next, she was taken via ambulance to a nearby hospital where she underwent a battery of tests.
Although Darcey's oxygen levels were low and she had fluid on her right lung, Morgan says she was able to bring her daughter home the next morning. But she is well aware that "it could have been a completely different ending" to their vacation.
"This was the worst day of our lives," Morgan heart-wrenchingly recounts, adding, "We are still suffering to come to terms with it all now but also feel incredibly lucky to still have our beautiful, brave little girl."
"We want to make as many people aware of the dangers in swimming pools as we feel so strongly about this," Morgan writes. She adds about herself and her husband Gareth, "We will never get over what happened but if this post can raise some awareness, save someone's life, then we will be happy."
- Want the latest parenting news? Sign up for our Parents Daily newsletter
We are so, so happy Darcey is okay, and want to thank the Morgans for bringing this little-known pool danger to the attention of parents everywhere.