Parents News Now

Teen Dies Tragically After Using Her Cell Phone in the Bath

The 14-year-old was using her phone in the tub while it was plugged in and charging. Now her family is hoping to raise awareness so it never happens again.

Plugging In Cell Phone MosayMay/Shutterstock
Listen up, parents: 14-year-old Texas teen Madison Coe was electrocuted on Sunday after using her cell phone with taking a bath. According to her grandmother Donna O'Guinn, Madison either grabbed her phone while it was plugged in or plugged in her phone while she was in the tub.

"There was a burn mark on her hand, the hand that would have grabbed the phone," her grandmother explained to KCBD. "And that was just very obvious that that's what had happened."

So, so sad! But also really scary. I have a 14-year-old daughter. She knows all about electrocution by way of the old toaster in the bathtub. But have I ever expressly told her not to use her plugged-in cell phone, or cell phone speaker for that matter, while she's in the bath? Would it even occur to her that it could result in her death? I'm not so sure.

Madison had just graduated from middle school and had her whole life ahead of her. Now the Coe family is hoping her death will bring awareness to the issue of phone safety, particularly as it pertains to not using your cell phone in the bathroom when it is plugged in and charging. Which makes this the perfect time to sit down with your own kids and talk about situations where it isn't appropriate or is actually dangerous to use a cell phone.

"This is such a tragedy that doesn't need to happen to anyone else," O'Guinn said. "And we want something good to come out of this."

If you'd like to help the Coe family, a GoFundMe account has been created by family friends in Madison's honor in order to help out with funeral expenses.

Hollee Actman Becker is a freelance writer, blogger, and mom of two who writes about parenting and pop culture. Check out her website holleeactmanbecker.com for more, and then follow her on Instagram.