Tommee Tippee is recalling five types of its sippy cups with a white valve that can develop mold.
The company has received 3,066 reports of mold in its cups that feature a one-piece white removeable valve, including 68 reports of children experiencing diarrhea, vomiting, and other symptoms.
"Mold can develop on the removable, one-piece, white valve inside the spill-proof Tommee Tippee Sippee cups when it remains wet or moist and is infrequently cleaned," the Consumer Product Safety Commission stated in its release. "Mold ingestion poses a risk of gastrointestinal symptoms and infections in consumers with compromised immune systems."
- RELATED: Mold: The Hidden Allergy Problem
Scary stuff! So here's what you need to know:
- This recall involves five types of spill-proof Tommee Tippee Sippee cups, all with the removable white valve: First Sips Transition cup, Trainer Sippee cup, Sippee cup (including Cute Quips), Sportee bottle, and Insulated Swiggle/Sippee tumblers.
- The plastic drinking cups have spill-proof tops and easy-grip sides with detachable handles and were sold in clear with colored lids and a variety of colors and character prints. Some of the cups include short phrases on the front of the cups including: "You Pour I'll Fling," or "Drink Drop Repeat." They have a 7 to 10 oz. capacity and were sold for children ages 4 to 12 months.
- If you do happen to find one of these guys in your sippy stash, stop using it immediately and contact the company for a free replacement.
This isn't the first time we're hearing about mold in sippy sups, of course. A few months back we told you about the dad who posted a picture of his daughter's moldy sippy cup to Facebook. His post promptly went viral, as other parents began cracking open their own cups and uploading photos of them in the comments, all featuring the same gross mold.
At the time, the Tommee Tippee responded with their own post, assuring consumers that "we have tested the valves of our cups, and the results have clearly confirmed that when the instructions for use and cleaning are followed, all works correctly." They then offered tips on cleaning the cups and valves.
Now over three months later we finally get the recall. I don't even want to think about how many additional kids have been affected by drinking from moldy cups during all that time.