Another day, another potential summer danger for kids that parents need to be aware of. This time, Idaho mom Stephanie Luker is speaking out after her almost 2-year-old daughter Ariadne got second-degree burns from playing on a plastic slide.
If you are like me, you are aware that slides can get super hot in the sun. But I didn't know an injury could be so severe if a child plays on one. According to Luker, though, Ariadne's hands looked red after she went down a plastic playground slide, and she complained to her mom that they hurt. Later, her little hands blistered, and a phone call to her pediatrician confirmed the little girl received second-degree burns.
RELATED: Avoiding Danger at the Playground
According to Pop Sugar, like most parents, and even the nurse she spoke with, Luker had assumed metal slides could be dangerous, but not plastic.
"When I told [the nurse] it was a plastic slide, she was very, very surprised. I don't think any of us had heard of that happening before," Luker told local news station KPVI. She cautions other parents to test a slide to make sure it isn't too hot before your child plays on it.
Want the latest parenting news? Sign up for our Parents Daily newsletter
The Consumer Product Saftey Commission also offers these tips for avoiding thermal burns on slides at the playground: