Laundry Gel Packs Pose Serious Threat to Children, Doctors Warn

A bite into the packs can cause drooling and vomiting and may burn the mouth, throat, eyes, and lungs.

"Certainly, the children we've seen have had pretty severe injuries from chemical contact with the soaps," says Lyndsay Fraser, MD. Fraser is an ear, nose, and throat doctor at the Royal Hospital for Sick Children in Glasgow, Scotland.

In the new report, Fraser and her colleagues describe the cases of five children treated in the emergency room after biting into laundry detergent capsules.

All the children were younger than age 2. The oldest was released after treatment with steroids and antibiotics. The others needed breathing tubes to prop open their swollen and damaged airways. One needed surgery. All eventually recovered.

The report is published in the Archives of Disease in Childhood.

The National Association of Poison Control Centers (NAPCC) says this is an increasingly common problem in the United States; there are almost 3,000 reports so far this year of children ingesting laundry packs, WebMD reports. The NAPCC issued an alert about this problem in May, prompting Tide to change the design of its Pods container so that it's harder for kids to open.

If you find your child with a gel pack in his mouth, poison experts recommend that you call poison control at 800-222-1222.

 

Image: Laundry gel capsules via Shutterstock.

Comments

Be the first to comment!


All Topics in Parents News Now


Parents may receive compensation when you click through and purchase from links contained on this website.