The 9 Best Electric Toothbrushes for Kids, According to Dentists and Reviewers
According to the American Dental Association, manual toothbrushes can be just as effective for cleaning your teeth as an electric model, but many dentists say that a power toothbrush might encourage kids to do better. "Kids tend to brush longer with power toothbrushes and therefore have less plaque buildup and tooth decay," says Drew Spencer, D.D.S., a board-certified dentist based in Edina, Minnesota.
And because teaching your kids the correct way to brush can be challenging as they develop their motor skills, Christina Alvarez, R.D.H., a dental hygienist based in Arizona, recommends using an electric toothbrush to help develop their brushing techniques. "Kids have limited dexterity and they may not get every surface when brushing," Dr. Alvarez says. "Electric toothbrushes rotate for them, so kids just have to move the brush from space to space."
Some electric toothbrushes come with built-in timers, sounds and songs, and colorful patterns or characters that help make brushing more fun. The ADA recommends choosing a brush with soft bristles, using an ADA-approved fluoride toothpaste, and making sure your child is brushing their teeth twice a day for at least two minutes.
Because there's a lot to consider when choosing the best electric toothbrush for your child, we've rounded up a list of dentist- and parent-recommended products. Shop their favorites below.
Best Electric Toothbrushes for Kids in 2021:
- Best Overall: Philips Sonicare for Kids Electric Toothbrush
- Best Rated: Oral-B Kids Electric Toothbrush
- Best Beginner Brush: Oral-B Kids Battery Toothbrush
- Best Basic: Arm & Hammer Spinbrush Electric Toothbrush
- Best ADA Recommended: Quip Kids Electric Toothbrush
- Best Budget: Colgate Kids Battery Powered Toothbrush
- Best Set: Solimo Kids Battery Powered Toothbrush
- Best for Babies: Papablic BabyHandy Electric Toothbrush for Babies
- Best Design: Brusheez Kids Electric Toothbrush Set