Speed Racer Party
Ages 5 and up
Invitations, Activities & Goodies
On-the-go kids will love an action-packed race-car rally.
Kick off the festivities with a flag invitation. Print party information on colored card stock, and glue to checkered paper. Fold left edge of paper around skewer, and glue to secure.
A relay race, of course! Having guests wear our easy-to-make box cars adds an extra challenge to the classic outdoor game.
Plan ahead: You'll need two cardboard boxes. Cut holes for arms and head, and spray-paint each box. Glue on plates for wheels. Before the race begins, divide guests into two teams and have each team decorate its vehicle with stickers.
Plan ahead: Use letter and number stencils to paint T-shirts ahead of time, so the kids can wear them for the race. When the day is over, send the little champs home with candy-filled trophies.
- Black-and-white checkered paper by Carolee's Creations;
visit www.carolees.com for stores.
- Small moving boxes (16 3/8" x 12 5/8" x 12 5/8"), from The Container Store; visit www.containerstore.com.
- Colored plastic tape available at hardware stores.
- Colored contact paper by Pliant.
- Black plastic plates from Party City; visit www.partycity.com for stores.
- T-shirts from Hanes; visit www.hanes.com.
- Jacquard textile paint available from Dharma Trading Co.; visit www.dharmatrading.com.
- Plastic trophies from Oriental Trading Company; visit www.orientaltrading.com.
- Green and yellow M&M's from Colorworks; visit www.colorworks.com.
Race-Car Track Cake
- 1 box (18.5 oz.) cake mix, any flavor
- 1 can (16 oz.) vanilla frosting
- Green food coloring
- 1 can (16 oz.) dark-chocolate-fudge frosting
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate-cookie crumbs
- White candy-coated licorice
- Prepare cake mix according to package directions for two 90 round layers. Tint frosting green. Trim 1" wedge from one cake; place layers together to form track, securing with frosting.
- Frost sides and inner circles of cake with green frosting. Using the tines of a fork, pull frosting away from cake to create grass. Place 1 cup chocolate frosting in resealable plastic bag; snip off corner. To make track, pipe frosting around outer edge of cake and around inner green circles. Fill outline with chocolate frosting. Sprinkle cookie crumbs over chocolate frosting. To create lanes, place licorice pieces on track. Serves 16.