DIY Superhero Phone Booth
Turn cardboard boxes into a phone booth for heroes' quick costume changes.
What You'll Need
- 2 cardboard wardrobe boxes (approximately 24"x 20"x 48"; available at moving-supply stores)
- Masking tape
- Craft knife
- Red latex interior paint
- Light-blue paper
- 1" blue painter's tape
- White poster board
- Shoe box
- Cardboard tube
- Paper cup
- Hot-glue gun and glue sticks
- Open top and bottom flaps of one wardrobe box; use masking tape to secure open, creating a column that is about 65" tall and open at either end.
- Using a craft knife, cut a 56"x 18" door in the box. Cut two 6"x 10" window openings at top of door.
- Use second box as a cap to stabilize the structure. To make cap, hot-glue the flaps of the second box closed on one end. Cut down box to measure 24"x 20"x 12". Fit cap onto booth.
- Paint phone booth red; let dry.
- Cut blue paper into six 6"x 10" rectangles. Secure to door with blue painter's tape to create windows.
- Cut white poster board into a 6"x 14" rectangle, write "telephone" on it, and tape to the top with blue painter's tape.
- Paint the shoe box red.
- Cut the paper cups to 2" high; cut the paper-towel tube to 7" long.
- Hot-glue cups to paper-towel tube.
- Cut a 40" piece of yarn; attach one end to shoe box and other to "phone." Hot-glue box inside booth (not shown).
Originally published in the May 2013 issue of Parents magazine.