Festive birthday cake for your little one.
Hit a high note with a cake that looks like the classic child's pull-toy.
Prep and decorating time: 45 minutes
Bake time: 40 to 45 minutes
Yield: 12 servings
- 1 box (18.25 oz.) yellow-cake mix
- 1 can (16 oz.) vanilla frosting
- Black decorating icing
- 1/2 box (24 oz.) white fondant
- Assorted liquid food colors
- M&M's Minis candy
- 4 black-licorice wheels
- 2 large marshmallows
- Blue decorating sugar
- 2 red Twizzlers
- Red string licorice
- Heat oven to 350?F. Grease two 9"x 5" loaf pans. Prepare cake mix according to package directions, using pound-cake variation (add instant pudding and an extra egg). Pour into pans and spread evenly; bake 40 to 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Transfer to wire rack, and cool 15 minutes. Invert cakes onto rack and cool completely.
- With serrated knife, trim top of cakes to level them. Place cakes end to end, with short sides touching on serving plate. Trim a thin wedge-shaped slice off 1 half of long side of cake to form xylophone shape. Frost completely with vanilla frosting. Pipe black decorating icing around edge of cake top, down corners, and along base.
- Divide fondant into 8 pieces. Tint each piece with food coloring to make 8 bright colors. Using a rolling pin, roll each piece of colored fondant to an 1/8" thickness. Cut first piece into a 4"x2" rectangle. Make each rectangle slightly smaller than the previous one to shape into keys for the xylophone. Line up keys on cake, and place 1 brown M&M on each end of keys to look like nails.
- Press a Twizzler into each marshmallow to make drumsticks. Dip marshmallows in water and shake off excess. Dip in colored sugar. Place next to cake. Make a bow and pull string with licorice; fasten to end of xylophone.