How to Make a Jumping Origami Frog
Teach your child how to fold a sheet of origami paper into a frog.
Your kids will jump at the chance to make this cute craft (which can double as a fun game)! Just help them follow the instructions for folding a sheet of origami paper into a frog; then, for optional fun, challenge them to launch their creations into lily-pad targets made from stamped cupcake liners.
Here's what you need:
- 1 square sheet of origami paper
- 4 green cupcake liners (optional)
- Number stamps and stamp pad (optional)
Here's what to do:
1. Cut a square sheet of paper in half lengthwise.
2. Fold each rectangle into a frog as follows:
- Fold the rectangle in half to mark the center line; unfold it.
- Fold, then unfold each corner toward the center line to create two X-shaped folds. c. Bring one short edge to the center; tuck in sides to create a triangle. Repeat on other side. You now have a diamond with an opening in the center.
- Rotate it so that the center line is parallel to you.
- Fold the top left corner to meet the top middle point of the diamond. Repeat with remaining corners to get small diamonds at the top and bottom.
- For the feet, fold each small flap in half so that the points face out.
- Fold the top two feet in half again, toward the center. Flip over.
- Bring the outside right corner to the center. Repeat with the opposite corner.
- Fold up the bottom; tuck it under the two side flaps. Flip over.
- Fold the bottom half up so the bottom and top feet overlap, then fold it in half back down. Flip over.
3. Flip four green cupcake liners inside out. Cut a small wedge out of each to get a lily-pad shape.
4. Stamp numbers onto each liner. Now kids can launch the frogs into lily-pad targets!