How to Make a Mayflower Centerpiece for Thanksgiving
This jaunty centerpiece sets sail loaded with notes of thanks.
You Will Need:
Template from familyfunmag.com/printables
Brown paper bag
Paper shred (available at many craft and party stores)
Off-white or parchment paper
- Print out our template and use it to cut the shape from the paper bag.
- Fold the shape in half lengthwise, then fold back the sides, as shown at right.
- Tape the diagonal edges together to form the ends of the ship. Use crayons to decorate the sides.
- Unfold and flatten the bottom of the ship. Pull the ends up, if needed.
- Fold the white paper in half and draw two sails, one small and one large.
- Cut out the sails and write "Give" and "Thanks" on them.
- Poke the skewer through the sails. Tape a colored flag to the skewer's top.
- Press a small ball of play dough into the bottom of the ship and insert the skewer into it.
- Fill the ship's hold with shredded paper.
- Cut the off-white paper into parchment scroll shapes and place them on the ship. Invite family and guests to write things they're thankful for on the sheets.
Originally published in the November 2013 issue of FamilyFun magazine.