How to Build a Movie Screen
DIY Film Screen
what you'll need
Staple gun and staples, white blackout fabric, two 10' 2x4s, 4 screw-in eye hooks, rope, tall buckets or garbage pails (ours were 22" high), 2 to 4 bags of .5 cubic feet pea gravel, 4 tent stakes
- Staple white fabric to one 2x4, leaving a few inches of board exposed at the top. Staple other end of fabric to second 2x4.
- Attach anchoring ropes: Hand-screw two eye hooks into either side of the top of each 2x4, then tie ropes (each at least 15' long) to hooks.
- With the help of a friend, stand one 2x4 up in a bucket and pour in gravel so 2x4 will stand upright. Repeat with second 2x4 and bucket.
- Stretch fabric taut by moving the two buckets away from each other.
- To stabilize the screen, pull ropes out at an angle and tie to tent stakes, then push stakes into the ground.
Originally published in the July 2014 issue of Parents magazine.