50 Ways to Get Through Coronavirus Cabin Fever
Whether your school district has closed due to coronavirus, or you're looking for ways to keep everyone busy amidst unnerving changes in your community, these easy activities are perfect for keeping cabin fever at bay. Write each one on a small strip of paper, add them to a jar, then enlist every family member to help pick one to do whenever you need a boost of inspiration.
- RELATED: How to Keep Kids Entertained at Home
1. Say hello! Make tin-can or paper-cup string telephones.
2. Design a family crest using meaningful images and symbols.
3. Hold a Hula-hoop contest.
4. Make sock puppets.
6. Tie-dye coffee filters with food coloring and hang them in a window like stained glass.
7. Empty a matchbox and take turns filling it with lots of tiny objects.
8. Play archaeologist. Bury "fossils" (plastic dinosaurs) in the sandbox and excavate.
9. Finger paint!
10. List what you'd bring if you had to live on a desert island.
11. Dream up a make-believe animal and describe it. Bonus: Draw it!
12. Draw something using only the letters in your name.
13. Build a hallway tent with a sheet and a tension rod.
14. Go fishing—indoors—with paper fish with paper clips attached. Use a rod with a magnet on the end of the string.
15. Listen to audio books for kids. Audible.com has classics like Stuart Little and Pippi Longstocking. Browse the children's section!
16. Fly a kite.
17. Host an indoor picnic.
18. Start a long-jump contest.
19. Use moss, twigs, and rocks to create a terrarium.
20. Sketch a shape and challenge your child to finish the drawing.
21. Put together your own puzzle by cutting up photos or postcards.
22. Roll out Bubble Wrap, tape it down, and jump and play.
23. See who can build the highest block tower.
24. Put on blindfolds and do a taste test of different random foods.
25. Lie down and get up without using your arms.
26. Mix 6 cups water + 2 cups dishwashing soap + 1 cup light corn syrup = big bubbles.
27. Put on a concert and record it. Download the Little Fox Music Box app for $3 on iTunes
28. Draft a handwritten letter to a pen pal or a far-flung relative.
29. Plot out an indoor obstacle course.
30. Get coloring! Download tons of free printable coloring pages here.
31. Hopscotch! Get a refresher the rules on how to play here.
32. Throw an impromptu dance party.
33. Fold airplanes. Here's a simple how-to!
34. Switch it up: Kids dress like parents and parents like kids.
35. Press flowers and leaves between sheets of wax paper; then iron.
36. Fill and decorate a time capsule in a shoe box.
37. Play hot potato.
38. Trace your shadow on the asphalt with chalk.
39. Jump in a pile of leaves: Make leaf angels.
40. Adorn your bike with streamers or stickers.
41. Dance with a balloon; don't let it touch the floor.
42. Play mirror and mimic your partner's actions.
43. Toss Ping-Pong balls into an egg carton.
44. Make water and food coloring "potions" -- with Mom's permission!
45. Play leapfrog.
46. Draw a map of your neighborhood.
47. Do the limbo!
48. Pretend to be a lion tamer with a Hula-hoop.
49. Cartwheel contest: Who can do the most?
50. Create a stuffed-animal zoo and make "habitats" in different rooms.