When my oldest son first began toddling, I made sure to keep cleaning products and medications well out of his reach. But one day when he was 2 years old, he began vomiting mint-green foam -- and I realized that I'd forgotten all about one common product: toothpaste. The Poison Control Center soothed my frazzled nerves. As it turns out, a few mouthfuls of toothpaste aren't generally dangerous, though they can cause a major tummy ache.
When it comes to anything beyond a simple scrape, even veteran parents can be thrown for a loop. And the most safety-savvy moms might be surprised by new first-aid and CPR guidelines from the American Red Cross and American Heart Association. While a mother's kiss is certainly the best medicine, this guide will help you treat childhood injuries confidently.
Meagan Francis, the mother of four sons, lives in Williamston, Michigan.
Originally published in American Baby magazine, June 2006.
All content here, including advice from doctors and other health professionals, should be considered as opinion only. Always seek the direct advice of your own doctor in connection with any questions or issues you may have regarding your own health or the health of others.