Signs that your child maybe be gifted.
According to the National Association for Gifted Children, approximately 5 percent -- or three million children -- in the U.S. are considered gifted. How can your tell if your child is one of them? Here are some of the early signs of a gifted preschooler, from the American Association of Gifted Children at Duke University:
- Learns quickly and remembers easily
- Seems mature for his or her age
- Has a large vocabulary, displays an unusual interest in words, or already reads independently
- Experiments to solve problems
- Prefers older playmates
- Seems sensitive
- Exhibits intellectual curiosity
- Shows compassion for people or animals
- Enjoys puzzles, mazes, and numbers
- Questions authority
- Seems to get bored easily
- Has a high energy level
If you child has several of these characteristics, consider having her assessed by a child development expert. You can also help nurture her natural talents by reading to her and introducing her to interests such as art, music, nature, and sports.
Copyright © 2001 AmericanBaby.com.
All content here, including advice from doctors and other health professionals, should be considered as opinion only. Always seek the direct advice of your own doctor in connection with any questions or issues you may have regarding your own health or the health of others.