Poison ivy has shiny green leaves in groups of three connected by one stem. If you suspect your child has come into contact with poison ivy, find out what exactly to look for, how to treat him, and when to call the doctor.
[MUSIC] Poison ivy has shiny green leaves in groups of three connected by a single stem. When your child touches it she may develop red streaks or patches, a rash, or blisters. The reaction is caused by the plant's oily resin called urushiol. Wash the urushiol off the affected area with mild soap and cool water right away. And apply a topical corticosteroid cream or calamine lotion for the itching. And wash all clothes that may have touched the poison ivy. The rash itself isn't contagious but the rosacea can cause more damage if it isn't removed. Keep your child's nails short to minimize scratching which can cause infection. Call 911 if your child has trouble breathing or swallowing. Call your doctor if the rash is on the face or genitals, covers an extensive area of the body. Or isn't improving within three days. The rash should clear up in about a week or two. In the meantime remind your kids leaves of three let them be.