Learn how to clean your Philips AVENT Comfort breast pump in six simple steps.
Cleaning a Philips AVENT Comfort breast pump takes just a few simple steps. After the first couple cleanings, the process will easily become a part of your breastfeeding routine.
One of the reasons Kerri Jablonski, a mom of three and brand ambassador for the company, loves the Philips AVENT Comfort pump is that it's so easy to clean. "Everything is really intuitive," she says. "There are no super tiny parts."
As with all breast pumps, every part of the Philips AVENT Comfort pump that touches the breast and/or milk should be washed in warm water with a gentle soap after each use. Philips AVENT recommends that moms boil or sanitize (that is, use a Philips AVENT sanitization product after each use), but the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) states that sterilization is not necessary. Warm, soapy water is adequate for at-home cleaning.
Jablonski shares the following tips on how to clean a Philips AVENT Comfort pump.
- Disassemble all parts of the breast pump, including the valve.
- The motor, tube, cap, and adaptor do not need to be cleaned because they did not come into contact with breast milk. Wash all other parts in warm, soapy water or in your dishwasher.
- Optional: Sterilize all parts in a Philips AVENT sterilizer, or boil for five minutes.
- Let all of the parts air-dry before storing.
- Reassemble the pump.
- Try not to touch any of the cleaned parts that will be coming into contact with the milk or the breast.
Breast Pumping Made Easy
Copyright © 2013 Meredith Corporation.