Whoa! This Mom Mixed Vodka Into Her Baby's Formula
A Wisconsin mom got the scare of her life when she realized she mixed her baby's formula with vodka instead of water.
A Wisconsin mom got the scare of her life on Monday when she realized she accidentally mixed her baby's formula with vodka, effectively intoxicating her one-month-old infant daughter. (Yikes!)
If, like me, you're scratching your head at this point, consider the story behind the accidental boozing. It reads like a bad sitcom plot: The baby's dad empties out a water bottle and fills it up with vodka to take to his buddy's house. Soon after, the mom prepares her child's formula and reaches for the bottle. Not suspecting there's alcohol in there—because, frankly, who in the world puts vodka in a used water bottle?—she pours a couple of ounces into the mix and gives it to the baby.
Not surprisingly, it didn't take long for the booze to snake its way through the infant's tiny body and cause a serious reaction. Shortly after feeding, the little girl was unresponsive, her toes were red and her eyes were half-closed. Realizing their grave mistake, the parents rushed the child to a Milwaukee hospital, where doctors discovered she had a blood alcohol level of 0.29 percent. (An average adult will pass out at 0.3 percent and die at 0.4 percent, Lieutenant Brad Hetlet, a police spokesman, told USA Today.)
Thankfully, in this case the little girl is expected to make a full recovery. After a couple of days in the hospital, she was deemed well enough to go home. Neither parent is expected to be charged, though my guess is that their days of repurposing water bottles are behind them.
Don't forget to sign up to receive our free Parents Daily Baby newsletter
Bonnie Gibbs Vengrow is a New York City-based writer and editor who traded in her Blackberry and Metro card for playdates and PB&J sandwiches—and the once-in-a-lifetime chance to watch her feisty, funny son grow up. Follow her on Twitter, Pinterest, and Google+.