Summer's Over, But Another Baby Has Died in a Hot Car
Summer may be over, but the potentially-deadly danger of leaving a child in a hot car is not. That heartbreaking reality was made clear this week when a baby passed away after being left in a vehicle in the parking lot of NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville, Alabama, according to AL.com.
"Early reports indicate that the parent intended to drop the child off at the childcare center and instead went straight to work," NASA spokeswoman Jennifer Stanfield said in a statement. "Names are being withheld out of respect for the family and pending all appropriate family notifications."
PopSugar reports it was 94 degrees that day in Huntsville around the time the baby was discovered. But it's important to point out that even when the weather is moderate, it is still extremely dangerous to leave a child inside a car, where temperatures can rise to more than 40 degrees hotter than the outside temperature.
The bottom line is that forgetting a child in a car can lead to disastrous consequences any time of year. So it's imperative to do whatever it takes to remember your child is in the car, and never, ever leave him or her inside, unattended. So whether that's setting an alarm on your phone, or leaving an item you'll need like your purse in the backseat, do everything in your power to make sure this terrible tragedy doesn't happen to you.
- New parent? Sign up for our Parents Daily Babies newsletter
Of course, you may be thinking, "I'd never leave my child in a hot car!" And maybe you wouldn't. But make sure that anyone who drives your child is also aware of how dangerous it is to make this mistake; that includes grandparents, neighbors, babysitters, and friends.
Melissa Willets is a writer/blogger and a mom. Follow her on Twitter (@Spitupnsuburbs), where she chronicles her love of exercising and drinking coffee, but never simultaneously.