The Michigan mom took to Facebook to explain how her 7-month-old awoke with a "suction burn" from his soothe pacifier.

By Maressa Brown
June 28, 2018

A huge part of parenting is familiarizing yourself with the most up-to-date safety protocols. Unfortunately, there's one that a mom named Kristen Milhone feels many parents don't receive. It's for that reason that Milhone took to Facebook on June 20 to share a warning about pacifiers.

The Kent County, Michigan mom wrote that she had woken up to see her 7-month-old "had a quarter sized, redened, raised and blistered spot on the left side of his head (the side he was laying on). I immediately thought chemical burn!"

She explained that she grabbed his belongings and immediately headed to the doctor thinking "maybe it was something in his cosleeper," but she soon remembered it was "just him and his pacifier."

Milhone elaborated, "None of the things countless safesleep books, ads, commercials or doctors warn you of. Upon further examinination from one doctor, then another, they determined it was a SUCTION BURN FROM HIS THE SOOTHIE PACIFIER. As Jack rolled at night time he happend to have created a suction effect between his left temple and the back of the soothie. The diameter of the wound and the pacifier indentation were an exact match! My poor innocent baby, is now injured due to a product that is trusted by millions and was used properly. I will no longer be using these products once we can find a suitable alternative for him and until then its use will be closely monitored. ?"

She later told local news station FOX17 that the protocol for her son is application of antibiotic ointment and follow-up appointments, and if it doesn’t heal they have to take Jack to the burn clinic or even a plastic surgeon. Given how thin his young skin is, the wound could leave a significant scar. “It’s just terrifying, like you don’t do all this stuff and then this one thing you may do is like suction cup a pacifier to your child’s head," Milhone told the news outlet. "You’re supposed to be able to have that. It’s just kind of scary.”

By sharing her story, Milhone is hoping to raise other parents' awareness around the potential issue, encouraging anyone who is using it to take it out of their L.O.'s cosleeper, bassinet, or crib after they've fallen asleep.

In the meantime, a representative for Phillips Avent told CafeMom that they are dedicated to supporting families and have a strict process in place to evaluate "quality and safety concerns" when a product doesn't perform as expected. "We are aware that one of our customers had a specific situation arise while using a Philips Avent Soothie and we are committed to investigating her concern," Natasha Best says. "We wish to reassure you that all Philips Avent products, including our pacifiers, meet or exceed applicable regulatory requirements, including US CPSC requirements for children’s products. We also encourage all consumers to adhere to the recommended usage guidance on the product leaflet. Parents with questions should always feel free to contact our consumer care line at 1-800-542-8368, where our knowledgeable product experts are standing by ready to assist."

Comments (1)

December 2, 2018
My baby never slept well (especially through the night) until I started using the website >>SleepBaby .org<< - that website has been by far one of the best things I've ever got my hands on to get him to fall asleep quickly. Best time is 45 seconds from awake to asleep! Can’t imagine life without it! I heard about it through a kindergarten teacher who uses it to put to sleep a group of 30 children. Check it out! >>SleepBaby .org<< - sorry, you can't post links here so you'll have to turn it into a normal link :) Best of luck to you and your family!