You probably have a lot of hopes and dreams for your baby—and maybe fame and fortune are among them. If you're hoping to be thanked in an awards ceremony speech someday, the folks at What Are the Odds want to help you get closer to that goal. They've analyzed the first names of Academy Award, Golden Globe, and BAFTA nominees, along with blockbuster movie stars, to come up with their definitive list of famous baby names.
Topping the list for boys is Daniel, for the stars of some of the most famous franchises in recent history—Daniel Radcliffe (aka Harry Potter) and Daniel Craig (aka James Bond) make that list, along with frequent Oscar nominee (and winner) Daniel Day-Lewis. And number one for girls is Catherine/Katherine/Katharine, thanks to Katharine Hepburn (a super-winner with four Oscars, two BAFTAs, and an Emmy—along with dozens of nominations), Catherine Zeta-Jones, and Katherine Heigl, just to name a few.
Of course, some of the names on the list are popular for famous people, just because they're popular in general. Like number four on the boys' list, Michael, which was the number top boys' name for 50 years. So, naturally, there are a whole slew of actors—including Michael J. Fox, Michael Fassbender, Michael Gambon, Michael Keaton, Mike Myers, and Michael Caine—who sport it, in addition to politicians (vice president Mike Pence and presidential hopeful Mike Bloomberg) and athletes (Michael Jordan, Michael Phelps, and Mike Tyson).
- RELATED: Best Vintage Baby Names for Girls
Some of the list seemed a little surprising—like Jade, which doesn't seem to have a huge star attached to it (though it is a popular baby name pick for celebrity offspring!). I might swap that one out with Jennifer, another popular baby name with a lot of star power attached to it (think Jennifer Aniston, Jennifer Hudson, Jennifer Lawrence, and Jennifer Lopez, just to name a few). And Thelma also seems like an odd choice—as only actress Thelma Ritter seems to sport it. It might be better to swap that out for Meryl, in honor of the actress with the most Oscar nominations, Meryl Streep.
Here's the list, and a look at some luminaries your child would follow in the footsteps of:
Famous Boy Names
- Daniel (Daniel Craig, Daniel Radcliffe, Daniel Day-Lewis)
- Adam (Adam Driver and Adam Sandler)
- Hugh (Hugh Jackman, Hugh Laurie, and Hugh Grant)
- Michael (Michael Gambon, Michael J. Fox, Michael Keaton, and more)
- Mark (Mark Hamill and Mark Ruffalo)
- Chris (Chris Rock, Chris Pine, Chris Hemsworth, Chris Evans, and Chris Pratt)
- Tom (Tom Hanks, Tom Cruise, Tom Holland, and Tom Hiddleston)
- Ryan (Ryan Reynolds and Ryan Gosling)
- James (James Franco, James Dean, James (Jimmy) Stewart, and James Earl Jones)
- Ben (Ben Kingsley, Ben Affleck, and Ben Stiller)
Famous Girl Names
- Catherine/Katherine/Katharine (Katharine Hepburn, Catherine Deneuve, and Katherine Heigl)
- Ellen (Ellen Pompeo, Ellen Page, and Ellen DeGeneres)
- Thelma (Thelma Ritter, the movie Thelma & Louise)
- Emma (Emma Thompson, Emma Watson, and Emma Stone)
- Jodie (Jodie Foster, Jodie Comer, Jodie Whittaker)
- Amy (Amy Adams, Amy Poehler, and Amy Schumer)
- Jade (Jade Sharif, Jade Marner, and Jade Thirlwall)
- Natalie (Natalie Portman, Natalie Wood, and Natalie Dormer)
- Emily (Emily Blunt and Emily Watson)
- Elizabeth/Elisabeth (Elizabeth Taylor, Elizabeth Banks, and Elisabeth Moss)