5 Wrong Ways to Say Goodbye
- Sneaking out without saying goodbye betrays your child's trust and could make future separations worse.
- Lingering in the room to see whether your child is okay prevents him from becoming absorbed in other activities, which ultimately helps him get over his anxiety.
- Acting sad makes your child worry that you're leaving her in an unsafe place.
- Changing your routine makes separations harder. Kids count on predictability when it comes to goodbyes, so stick to your rituals.
- Getting angry when your child has trouble saying goodbye will just cause him to cry harder, so don't let your frustration show.
Copyright © 2007. Used with permission from the September 2007 issue of Parents magazine.