Security Alert: Bringing Comfort Objects from Home
Being away from home for the first time isn't easy, so send your child off with a discreet little memento to help him handle it better.
- Leave the lovey at home: Get a T-shirt made with a picture of her Woofie or Teddy. $18.
- A pic is worth a thousand words: Tuck one away inside his cubby or hang a photo key chain on his backpack zipper.
- Lunch-box love notes are a great way to let your child know you're thinking of her while she's at school.
- Little kid toys: He might not be allowed to take his favorite car into the classroom, but he can keep it safely in his backpack.
- Blanket statement: Cut a tiny piece off her blankie that she can keep in her pocket and touch when she needs a pick-me-up.
- Time will tell: His own digital watch will make him feel like a big boy, and he can look at it every so often to remind himself that you'll be picking him up soon!
Source: The American Medical Association
Copyright © 2008 Meredith Corporation. Originally published in American Baby, the August 2003 issue of Parents magazine and the September 2007 issue of Parents magazine.