Shrimp Pad Thai
This popular Thai noodle dish is a big hit with kids.
- 1/2 of a 14- to 16-ounce package of wide rice noodles
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup sliced snow peas
- 2 large eggs
- 2 Tbs. plus 1 tsp. vegetable oil, divided
- 1 cup diced firm tofu
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions, optional
- 1 cup mung bean sprouts, optional
- 1/3 cup pad thai sauce
- 2 Tbs. lime juice
- 3/4 lb. cooked, peeled shrimp
- 1/3 cup dry roasted peanuts, chopped
- Place noodles, shredded carrots, and sliced snow peas in large bowl and cover with boiling water. Let sit 7 minutes, then drain and rinse in cold water. In small bowl, whisk eggs with 1 Tbs. water and set aside. Heat 1 tsp. oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and scramble eggs. Transfer to clean bowl and set aside.
- Heat remaining 2 Tbs. oil in skillet over high heat; add diced tofu and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 3 minutes. Add cooked noodles and vegetables, green onions and bean sprouts if using, and cook, stirring continuously, until heated through, about 1 minute. Stir in pad thai sauce, 1/3 cup water, and the lime juice, and cook 1 minute more. Stir in shrimp, and cook until shrimp is hot, about 1 minute. Sprinkle with peanuts and serve. Makes 4 servings.
Nutrition per serving: 538 cal; 33g protein; 21g fat; 54g carb; 203mg calcium; 4g fiber