Chinese Beef and Broccoli
Beef that's sliced for stir-fry is widely available in the meat section of grocery stores.
Time: 25 minutes
- 3 tablespoons teriyaki sauce, divided
- 3 teaspoons cornstarch, divided
- 1 pound lean beef, such as top sirloin, sliced for stir-fry
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 1 cup sliced red peppers
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- Quick-cook brown rice, prepared according to package directions
- Combine 2 tablespoons teriyaki sauce, 2 teaspoons cornstarch, and the beef in a small bowl. Refrigerate 15 minutes, or up to 10 hours. Place broccoli and peppers in large bowl and cover tightly. Microwave on medium-high 5 minutes.
- In nonstick skillet, heat 1 teaspoon oil over high heat. Add half of beef and cook, stirring, until browned, about 2 minutes. Transfer to bowl with cooked vegetables. Repeat with remaining beef.
- Dissolve remaining cornstarch in 1 tablespoon water. Heat remaining oil in skillet; add ginger and garlic. Cook 30 seconds, then stir in broth and remaining teriyaki sauce; bring to a boil. Whisk in cornstarch mixture and boil 1 minute. Stir in beef, broccoli, and peppers; heat through. Serve over brown rice. Makes 4 servings.
Nutrition per serving: 346 cal; 32g protein; 9g fat; 35g carb; 88mg calcium; 6g fiber