We know your kids will love the crunchy topping on these hearty chicken-soup pies -- it's made with potato chips!
Time: 25 minutes
- 2 cups wide egg noodles, uncooked
- 1 package (32 ounces) chicken broth, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Pinch of poultry seasoning
- 1 bag (12 ounces) steam-to-cook frozen vegetables
- 1 package (10 ounces) ready-to-serve sliced chicken breasts or 2 cups cooked, diced chicken
- 2/3 cup instant potato flakes
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 bag (5 1/2 ounces) baked potato chips, crushed
- Cook noodles in salted water until just done; drain and set aside. Pour 1 cup of broth, the flour, and poultry seasoning into a jar with a tight-fitting lid and shake to blend. In large saucepan, heat remaining 3 cups of broth to boiling over high heat; whisk in broth-flour mixture and continue to whisk while broth comes back to a boil. Lower heat and simmer mixture until slightly thickened, about 3 minutes.
- Cook vegetables in microwave as directed, about 4 minutes. Stir cooked vegetables, noodles, and chicken into broth. Divide mixture among 6 ramekins or ovenproof bowls.
- Heat broiler. In a bowl, combine potato flakes, milk, butter, salt, and 1/2 cup water. Cover and microwave 2 to 3 minutes, until thickened. Stir in crushed potato chips. Place ramekins in a baking pan. Divide and flatten potato mixture into 6 disks. Place on top of ramekins and broil 1 to 2 minutes or until topping is crispy. Makes 6 servings.
Nutrition per serving: 309 cal; 17g protein; 5g fat; 49g carb; 69mg calcium; 4g fiber