Wild Kingdom Birthday Cake
- 2 16 ounce containers vanilla frosting
- Black and neon-blue food coloring (McCormick)
- 3/4 cup store-bought dark chocolate frosting
- 1/2 graham cracker (1 square)
- 8 marshmallows
- 5 candy circus peanuts
- 3 golden Oreos
- Yellow decorating sugar
- Mini Chocolate Chips
- 4 Nutter Butter cookies
- Froot Loops cereal
- 2 vanilla sugar wafers (should have an orange hue such as Keebler brand)
- White decorating sugar
- Green decorating sugar
- 1 bag gummy spearmint leaves
- 6 mini Oreos
- 3 Oreos
- 10 - 12 dark-chocolate Pocky Sticks
- 2-tier square layer cake (8" and 10")
- 1 red gum ball
1. Tint 2/3 cup of the vanilla frosting light gray using black food coloring. Spoon 1/4 cup of the vanilla frosting into a resealable plastic bag. Tint the remaining vanilla frosting blue with neon food coloring. Spoon the dark-chocolate frosting into separate resealable plastic bags. Press out the excess air from the bags, seal and snip a small (1/8 inch) corner from each bag.To make the rocks:
2. Place the graham cracker on a wire rack placed over a cookie sheet. Cut a few of the marshmallows into large pieces. Arrange the marshmallows on top of the graham cracker, using some frosting to secure, to look like a tumble of rocks. Heat the gray frosting in the microwave, stirring every few seconds until it is the texture of lightly whipped cream. Pour some of the frosting over the marshmallows to coat. Spoon the excess frosting into a resealable plastic bag to be used for the elephant. Set rocks aside.To make lion:
3. Cut 3 circus peanuts lengthwise into thirds. Cut each piece in half. Working on the cut edge, make zigzag cuts to make the mane (they will look like duck feet). Pinch the opposite end. Spread some of the vanilla frosting on top of a golden Oreo. Dip the cookie into the yellow sugar to coat. Pipe white dots and add mini chips for the eyes. Pipe the mouth and whiskers with the dark-chocolate frosting. Add a small triangle of circus peanut for the nose. Set aside.To make hippo:
4. Cut one Nutter Butter cookie in half crosswise (you'll use only half). On a second Nutter Butter, pipe dots of vanilla frosting and attach mini chips for eyes. Use frosting to secure orange Froot Loops as the nostrils and ears. Set aside.To make giraffes:
5. Trim a small wedge from one short end on each of the 2 remaining circus peanuts. Cut a short end of each sugar wafer and attach to circus peanut, cut end to cut end, using some dark-chocolate frosting. Pipe spots and attach mini-chip eyes. Set aside. 6 To make elephant: RemoveTo make elephant:
6. Remove the cream filling from the remaining 2 golden Oreos. Spread some of the excess gray frosting on top of cookies. Dip cookies in the white decorating sugar to coat. Pipe white dots and add mini-chip eyes. Attach 4 purple Froot Loops with frosting as the trunk. Set aside.To make crocodiles:
7. Trim one Nutter Butter cookie in half lengthwise. Trim the final Nutter Butter cookie to create a triangleshaped face. Spread the cookie pieces with vanilla frosting. Dip in the green decorating sugar to coat. Cut 2 green Froot Loops and attach as eyes. Pipe white dots; add mini chips as pupils. Pipe on chocolate nostrils. Set aside. Cut a few spearmint leaves into triangles for scales; set aside.To make seals:
8. Cut 2 of the mini Oreos in half to make 3 fins. Cut a large Oreo in half to make 2 bodies. Cut another Oreo into a triangle to make the balancing seal. Remove the cream from remaining Oreo and cut in half to make 2 fins. Trim 1 mini Oreo for the seal face. Attach a mini chip with chocolate frosting as eye. Set aside.To make monkeys:
9. Cut red Froot Loops to make the monkey muzzles. Add a Froot Loop piece to the lower half of 3 mini Oreos. Pipe white dots and add mini chips for eyes. Set aside.
10. Cut several spearmint leaves into thirds lengthwise to make 3 leaf shapes out of each candy. Cut some of these in half lengthwise to make smaller leaves; set aside for later.
11. Break off the undipped ends of the Pocky Sticks and set aside. Trim the chocolate-coated Pocky Stick pieces to match the height of each layer of the frosted cake.
12. Place a cake layer on a serving platter. Spread some of the blue frosting on top. Add the other cake layer. Place rock pile on top of cake. Spread blue frosting on top and sides of the cake, making the sides smooth. Use the back of a small spoon to make waves on top of the cake and around the rock pile.
13. Press the Pocky Sticks, vertically and evenly spaced, around the sides of the cake as the bars of the animals cage. Arrange all the animals between the Pocky bars and add saved spearmint leaves (from Step 10) to fill in blank spots. For the giraffe: Apply the four undipped pieces of the saved Pocky Sticks (from Step 11) to construct the giraffes ears. For the crocodile: Apply saved spearmint triangles (from Step 7) to construct the crocodiles scales. Pipe any other animal parts using the photo as a guide. Add the seals on top of the cake and stick red gum ball to the upright seals nose with a bit more frosting.