Slow-Cooker Turkey and Curried Vegetables
Makes: 6 servings. Prep: 15 minutes. slow cook: on high heat for 412 hours or on low for 8 hours.
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 8 medium-size cauliflower pieces (from a 2-pound head)
- 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup dried apricots, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 bone-in turkey breast half (about 2 1/2 to 3 pounds), skin removed
- 1 box (10 ounces) frozen green beans, thawed
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch mixed with 2 tablespoons water
- 1 jar (12 ounces) mango chutney, optional
- Cooked rice, optional
1. In a small bowl, stir together the curry powder, ginger, salt and pepper. Stir 2 teaspoons spice mix into chicken broth along with the sugar.
2. Place cauliflower, chickpeas, apricots and golden raisins in a 6-quart slow cooker. Tuck in cinnamon stick. Rub remaining spice mix into turkey breast. Place on top of vegetables. Pour broth around meat. Cover. Cook on high heat for 4 1/2 hours or on low heat for 8 hours.
3. Remove turkey to a cutting board, cover loosely with foil and let stand for 10 minutes. If necessary, increase heat to high. Stir green beans and cornstarch-water mixture into slow cooker; cover and cook 10 minutes or until beans are tender.
4. Cut turkey into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Pour a little juice on top; serve with vegetables plus chutney and rice, if desired.