Spaghetti Squash Primavera
Strands of spaghetti squash topped with herbed spaghetti sauce made with vegetable crumbles is a vegetarian recipe with family appeal.
- 1 spaghetti squash (about 4 pounds), stem removed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 can (8 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup prebrowned all-protein vegetable crumbles, thawed (see Note, below)
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon dried Italian herb seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
1. Halve squash; remove seeds. Place cut side down in microwave-safe dish. Microwave on high power 20 minutes, rotating once, until tender.
2. Heat oil in large skillet. Add onion and garlic; cook over medium heat until softened, 10 minutes. Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, crumbles, sugar, seasoning, salt and pepper. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover; simmer 10 minutes. Stir in cream; cook to heat through, 2 minutes.
3. With fork, scrape strands from squash onto serving platter. Top with tomato sauce. Sprinkle with parsley. Makes 4 servings.Note:
4. This sausage-like product can be found with vegetarian products in frozen-food case.