An array of vegetables seasoned with Italian spices and fresh basil make a delicious slow cooker vegetarian main dish.
- 1 small eggplant (about 1 pound), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/8 teaspoon plus 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium-size red onion, chopped
- 2 medium-size sweet bell peppers, seeded and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 10 ounce package mushrooms, cleaned and quartered
- 1 14 1/2 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 medium-size yellow squash, quartered and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped basil
- Olive oil, for drizzling (optional)
1. Place eggplant in a strainer and sprinkle with 1/8 teaspoon salt; let stand for 20 minutes and press out as much liquid as possible.
2. In a 4- to 5-quart slow cooker, combine eggplant, onion, bell peppers and mushrooms. Drain diced tomatoes and stir in along with tomato sauce, black pepper and Italian seasoning. Cook on HIGH for 3 hours or LOW for 5 hours.
3. Add squash into slow cooker for last 45 minutes of cooking time. Before serving, stir in basil and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and drizzle with olive oil, if desired.