Sweet-and-Sour Turkey Meatballs
This kid-pleasing skillet meal is bright, colorful, and satisfying. The turkey meatballs mingle with pineapple, green pepper, and carrot in a tangy sauce.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium-size onion, chopped
- 1 sweet green pepper, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple, packed in juice
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 slice white bread
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 3/4 pound ground turkey
- 1/2 medium-size zucchini, shredded
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups quick-cook rice
1. Heat oil in large skillet. Add onion, green pepper and carrot; saute 5 minutes, until onion is softened.
2. Stir in broth, tomato sauce, brown sugar, white vinegar, pineapple with juice and ketchup. Simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
3. Meanwhile, soak bread in milk in large bowl until milk is absorbed. Add turkey, zucchini, egg, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Shape turkey mixture into 12 meatballs, about 2 tablespoons each.
4. Drop meatballs into simmering sauce; simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes or until cooked through; turn over once during cooking.
5. Remove from heat. Stir in rice; cover; let stand 5 minutes. Fluff rice with fork before serving. Makes 4 servings.