Corn Bread Dressing
- 2 boxes (8.5 ounces) corn muffin mix (such as Jiffy)
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup milk
- 8 ounces bacon, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium-size carrots, diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 rib celery, diced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh sage, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Pinch cayenne
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1. Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Coat two 8 x 8 x 2-inch baking dishes and one 9 x 13 x 2-inch dish with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
2. Stir together corn muffin mix with eggs and milk. Divide batter between square baking dishes and bake at 400 degrees F. for about 15 minutes or until lightly browned; cool completely on wire racks. Cut corn bread into 1/2-inch cubes and spread onto a rimmed baking sheet.
3. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes or until slightly crisp. Remove from oven and let cool. Leave oven on 400 degrees .
4. Meanwhile, cook bacon in a large nonstick saucepan over medium-high heat for 10 minutes, then transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate.
5. Pour out all but 1 tablespoon of the bacon fat and place saucepan over medium-high heat. Add corn and onion and cook 5 minutes. Add garlic, carrots, celery, sage, salt, pepper and cayenne to saucepan; cook, stirring frequently, for 7 minutes or until vegetables are softened.
6. Add the broth and bacon to saucepan and stir to combine. Add corn bread and stir gently until liquid is absorbed.
7. Pour contents of pan into prepared 13 x 9-inch baking dish and bake at 400 degrees F. for about 30 minutes or until top is golden brown. Makes 8 servings.