Slow-Cooker Italian Wedding Soup
This rich and satisfying soup is filled with meatballs, pasta, and vegetables and simmered in the slow cooker to give the flavors all day to blend.
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons plain bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 large carrots, chopped
- 1 small head escarole (8 ounces), washed, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 3/4 cups acini di pepe pasta (such as Ronzoni)
1. In a large bowl, stir together egg, beef, onion, bread crumbs, 1 tablespoon Parmesan, 1 tablespoon parsley and 1/4 teaspoon each of the salt and pepper. Form into 1-inch meatballs (about 45) and place on baking sheet; refrigerate while preparing soup.
2. Combine broth, carrots, escarole and oregano in slow cooker. Gently add meatballs. Cover and cook on LOW for 6 hours. Stir in pasta for last 20 minutes of cook time. Stir in remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Sprinkle each serving with remaining parsley and Parmesan cheese and serve.