This refreshing Spanish soup is one of the best recipes for homegrown tomatoes and cucumbers. The shrimp make a delicious garnish as well as boosting the protein, so you can serve the soup as a main dish.
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, cored and quartered
- 1 sweet red pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cucumber, seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 small sweet onion (such as Vidalia), finely chopped (about 1/3 cup)
- 1/2 cup sherry vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 1/2 cups spicy vegetable juice
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 12 cooked shrimp, cut into pieces
1. Place tomato quarters in a food processor and pulse 12 times. Remove to a large bowl.
2. Place red pepper and cucumber in food processor and pulse 12 times; add to tomato in bowl. Stir in onion, vinegar, garlic, salt and black pepper; let stand 5 minutes.
3. Add vegetable juice, 1/2 cup water and hot sauce to vegetables in bowl and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.To serve:
4. Divide soup evenly among 4 bowls; top each with 1 tablespoon sour cream and some of the chopped shrimp