Mamas Chicken and Apple Soup
This soup is a household favorite because of an unexpected ingredient-apple! Not only does it add great flavor but it also adds additional fiber. Give this soup a try and I'm sure it will be a hit with the entire family, young and old.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium apple, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 skinless boneless chicken breast halves, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup chopped Italian (flat-leaf) parsley
- 4 cups water or low-sodium chicken stock
1. Heat olive oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add apple, celery, onion, carrot, and garlic. Cook and stir for 6 minutes. Add in chicken, parsley and water or stock. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, until chicken is thoroughly cooked, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and cool slightly.
2. Place soup, half at a time, into a food processor or blender and puree to desired consistency. Distribute mixture evenly among your favorite food storage containers. This mixture will keep refrigerated for up to 3 days.
3. For older children or adults, skip the pureeing step and add in some small pasta such as orzo about 7 minutes before soup is finished boiling.Ages:
4. 9+ months
- Distribute mixture evenly among ice cube trays and cover with a layer of plastic wrap and aluminum foil or store in your favorite baby food storage containers.