Garden Vegetable Soup
Soup loaded with vegetables makes a wonderful side dish to sandwiches or a healthy lunch or dinner option.
- 1 leek, white part only
- 1/2 of a large potato, peeled
- 1 small onion
- 1 stalk celery
- 1/2 of a medium zucchini
- 6 green beans
- 1 medium carrot, peeled
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 tablespoons water
- 4 cups no-salt-added chicken stock
- 3 ripe tomatoes, peeled and seeded
- 15 fresh basil leaves, washed and dried
- 2 medium garlic cloves
1. Cut all the veggies into 1/4-inch pieces. In a large pot, mix half the olive oil with the water. Add veggies; saute on medium-low until the water evaporates. Don'tlet the veggies brown.
2. Add stock; bring to a boil. Cook, uncovered, at a gentle boil for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, puree tomatoes, basil, garlic, and remaining oil. Stir puree into soup. Don'tlet it return to a boil. Season with salt and pepper.