Scallop and Shrimp Newburg Casserole
Shellfish lovers will enjoy this creamy casserole recipe that starts with a layer of brown rice cooked ahead to reduce preparation time.
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 pound sea scallops
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 egg yolks, beaten
- 1/4 cup cream sherry
1. Heat the oven to 325 degree F. Coat a 2-quart casserole with nonstick cooking spray. Spoon brown rice into prepared dish.
2. In a medium-size skillet, combine the wine, butter, salt, black pepper, cayenne and bay leaf. Bring to a simmer; add shrimp. Cook for 4 minutes over medium heat. Remove shrimp and reserve. Add scallops and cook for 5 minutes. Remove scallops and reserve.
3. Simmer cooking liquid for 4 minutes or until reduced to about 3 tablespoons. Remove bay leaf and discard. Reserve cooking liquid.
4. In a small saucepan, whisk together the cream and egg yolks. Heat over medium-high heat for about 2 minutes, whisking constantly, until thickened.
5. Mix together the shrimp, scallops, reduced cooking liquid and cream mixture. Spoon the mixture evenly over rice. Pour cream sherry over the top.
6. Bake at 325 degree F for 25 minutes. Let stand for 15 minutes before serving. Garnish with chopped parsley, if desired.