Mexican Pulled Pork Tacos
Makes: 8 servings at $1.94 each. Prep: 10 minutes. Slow Cook: on high heat for 5 1/2 hours.
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 3 1/2 pound boneless pork shoulder roast or picnic roast
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, cut into 1/4-inch squares
- 1 medium sweet green pepper, cut into 1/4-inch squares
- 1 14 1/2 ounce can jalapeno-flavored diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 5 1/2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 5 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne red pepper
- 1 4 ounce jar diced green chiles, drained
- 1 11 ounce can corn kernels, drained
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 16 6 inches corn tortillas, warmed following package directions
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves, rinsed and patted dry
- Sour cream
1. In 5- to 5-1/2-quart slow cooker, layer the chopped onion, pork roast and sweet peppers. In a medium-size bowl, stir together the tomatoes, cumin, garlic salt, oregano and cayenne pepper. Pour evenly over the mixture in the slow cooker. Add chiles and corn.
2. Cover slow cooker; cook on high heat for 5 hours. Remove pork roast to cutting board; keep warm.
3. Remove 1 1/2 cups liquid from pot and discard. Stir the tomato paste into the vegetable mixture in the slow cooker. Cover; cook for another 30 minutes.
4. Cut the pork roast into slices. Shred the slices using 2 forks to pull the meat apart. Add the shredded pork to mixture in the slow cooker; heat through.
5. To serve, wrap the pork mixture in the warmed corn tortillas, dividing the mixture equally among the tortillas. Garnish each serving with fresh cilantro leaves and sour cream, if desired.