Beans and Greens Burger
- 2 cups (one 14-ounce can) black beans, red beans, or chickpeas, drained
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- Salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup cooked spinach or other greens (frozen is fine; if using fresh, youll need about 8 ounces of raw spinach to start), squeezed dry and chopped
- Bean-cooking liquid, stock, or water as needed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or neutral oil, like grapeseed or corn, for cooking
1. Place the beans, onion, oats, chili powder, salt, pepper and spinach in a food processor and pulse until chunky but not pureed; if it seems dry or isn't sticking together, add a little liquid a tablespoon at a timeyou want a moist but not wet mixture. Let rest in the fridge for a few minutes if time allows.
2. With wet hands, shape into patties; refrigerate for 15 or 20 minutes if your schedule permits.
3. Heat a large skillet or griddle over medium-high and add just enough oil to coat the bottom of the pan. When hot, add the patties and cook until nicely browned on one side, about 5 minutes; turn carefully and cook on the other side until firm and browned, about another 5 minutes. Serve on buns with the usual burger fixings.