Pear and Prosciutto Salad
This sophisticated spinach salad offers a pleasing mix of flavors and textures--sweet crisp pears, salty prosciutto, and crunchy walnuts--all drizzled with a fresh pear dressing.
- 3 ripe pears (about 1-1/2 pounds total)
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 6 ounce bag baby spinach
- 1 3 ounce package thinly sliced prosciutto, torn into strips
- 1/2 cup glazed walnuts (such as Emerald)
- 1 ounce wedge Parmesan cheese
1. Cut pears in half and core them. Peel one pear half, cut into chunks and place in blender with vinegar, mustard, 1/8 teaspoon of the salt and the pepper. Puree until smooth. With machine running, slowly pour in oil; set aside.
2. Cut remaining (unpeeled) pear halves into 1/2-inch wedges and place in a large bowl with the spinach. Pour the dressing over top and sprinkle with remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt. Toss gently.
3. Place 1-1/2 cups of greens and pears onto each plate. Top each with 1/4 of the prosciutto and 2 tablespoons walnuts. Using a vegetable peeler, peel 5 strips of Parmesan cheese over each plate.