Risotto With Lemon and Parmesan
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 1/2 cups Arborio rice
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup water (or broth)
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, kept warm in a saucepan
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 2 - 3 tablespoons lemon juice
1. Put the oil in a deep 10-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat. When it's hot, add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until they soften, about 3 minutes.
2. Add the rice and cook and stir for 2 minutes. Add a little pepper, then the water. Stir and continue cooking until the liquid has almost completely bubbled away.
3. Use a ladle to begin adding broth, 1/2 cup or so at a time, stirring after each addition. When the broth is just about evaporated, add more. The mixture should be neither soupy nor dry. Keep the heat at medium to medium-high and stir frequently. It should take about 20 minutes to add all of the broth. The rice should be tender but still with a tiny bit of crunch.
4. Stir in the butter, Parmesan, lemon zest, and juice. Serve immediately. Makes 4 to 6 servings.