To give these biscuits more Southern appeal, stir Virginia ham and cheddar cheese into the dough.
- 2 cups bleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped baked Virginia ham (about 2 ounces)
- 3/4 cup coarsely shredded Cheddar cheese (about 3 ounces)
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
1. Heat oven to 425 degrees F.
2. Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt into large bowl. Using pastry blender, cut butter into flour mixture until it resembles texture of oatmeal. Stir in ham and 1/2 cup cheese. Stir in buttermilk just until mixed; do not overmix; gather together into dough.
3. On lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 3/4-inch thickness. Cut out dough with 2-1/2-inch biscuit cutter. Place biscuits on ungreased baking sheet. Gather up scraps; roll out once more and cut out additional biscuits; you should have total of 12. Discard trimmings. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
4. Bake in 425 degrees F oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm or at room temperature.