Use a cake mix to make this cowboy boot. Decorate it with frosting for a party dessert or birthday cake that cowboys and cowgirls will love.
- 1 18 1/4 ounce box yellow or devil's food cake mix
- 1 16 ounce can vanilla frosting
- 1 16 ounce can caramel frosting
- Red icing color
1. Grease and flour a 9 x 13-inch baking pan. Using pound-cake variation on side of box (add instant pudding and 1 extra egg), prepare cake mix according to package directions. Bake in pan. Let cake cool completely.
2. To make boot, click below to print out the boot template. Place on top of cake, angling so template fits. Using a food-coloring marker, draw outline of the boot pieces on cake, and cut out pieces with knife.
3. Spoon 1/2 cup vanilla frosting into a freezer-weight resealable plastic bag, and snip off a small corner. Tint remaining vanilla frosting red. On serving platter, attach cake pieces together with red frosting to make shape of boot. Cover entire boot with a layer of red frosting. Freeze cake for 1 hour. Frost heel, toe, sole, and top of boot with caramel frosting. Place 1/4 cup caramel frosting in freezer-weight resealable plastic bag, and snip off small corner. Pipe line down center of boot.
4. Click below to print out piping template. Cut out and place on the boot, tracing outline with a toothpick. Flip template and repeat on other side of boot to create mirror image. Pipe white frosting over scored outline for stitching. Pipe white lines around edges of caramel top and toe of boot.