White Cheddar Mac and Cheese
- 1 pound farfalle pasta
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 pound white cheddar cheese, shredded (about 4 cups)
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen peas, thawed
- 1/2 pound finely diced smoked ham (such as Cumberland Gap)
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees . Coat 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Cook pasta in lightly salted water following package directions, about 12 minutes. Drain.
2. While pasta is cooking, melt butter in a medium-size, heavy-bottomed saucepan (not nonstick) over medium heat. Stir in flour until well blended; cook 1 minute. Whisk in 1 cup of milk and cook, whisking continuously, until smooth. Whisk in remaining 1 cup milk and continue to cook, whisking until thickened and smooth, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in salt, pepper and nutmeg. Whisk in 2 cups of the cheese until smooth.
3. In a large bowl, mix together the pasta, cheese sauce and 1 cup of the remaining cheese. Stir in the peas and ham. Pour into prepared baking dish. Scatter remaining 1 cup cheese evenly over the top.
4. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until bubbly. Remove from oven; allow to cool 10 minutes. May be served warm or at room temperature.
Servings Per Recipe: 12; Amount Per Serving: cal.(kcal): 372, Fat, total(g): 17, chol.(mg): 58, sat. fat(g): 10, carb.(g): 34, fiber(g): 3, pro.(g): 21, sodium(mg): 625, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.