Skillet Four-Cheese "Baked" Pasta
To save a dish, be sure to use an ovenproof skillet when making this 30-minute recipe. Add the pasta, sauce, and cheese to the sauteed sausage, peppers, and onions and bake in the skillet until hot and bubbly.
- 1 pound rotini pasta or penne
- 3/4 pound hot Italian sausage
- 2 sweet red peppers
- 1 onion (see Note)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 jar (26 ounces) marinara sauce
- 2 cups shredded Italian four-cheese blend
1. Heat oven to 450 F. Cook pasta following package directions. Drain.
2. While pasta is cooking, cut sausage into 1/2-inch slices. Seed and slice peppers and slice onion for a total of 4 cups. Heat olive oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage, peppers and onions. Cook, 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until peppers and onions are tender and the sausage is cooked through. Add sauce and bring to a simmer. Stir in the drained pasta and 1 cup of the cheese.
3. Sprinkle remaining cheese over the pasta and bake at 450 F for 8 minutes or until cheese melts and casserole starts to bubble. Cool 5 minutes before serving. Note: Buy precut peppers and onions in the supermarket produce aisle to save prep time.